Friday, April 13, 2012

Clifton Park Garden Plot 2012

Well Spring has Sprung and it’s Thyme for gardening. I am beyond excited. After waiting 2 years, I have finally gotten a garden plot with Baltimore City Farms. The City Farms program began in 1978. Today there are seven City Farms providing 640 plots for urban gardeners. Each plot offers 150 square feet of gardening space and rents for $30 per year. All City Farms gardens have city water and hoses. Wood chips and leaf compost are also provided.

I will make frequent postings about the progress of my garden this year. I have been on a waiting list for a plot for the past two years. The park closest to my house has a seven year waiting list. Seven years, that is a long time! I am very persistent and I call every year and this year a plot opened up in Clifton Park. This is a 10 minute drive from my house, but it will be well worth it.

The farming story begins. I visit my plot and to say there is a lot of work needed is an understatement. There are weeds everywhere. But then I remember, I come from a family of sharecroppers and farmers. So armed with a rake, shovel, and hoe, I get to work. Now, this kind of work isn’t for the faint at heart. This is real work. These are the times I miss my dad the most. He would have enjoyed working in the garden with me. After 2 days, my garden begins to look really good. I am proud that I decided to put in sweat equity. I was tempted for a second to call Jim’s tilling service. But I resisted.

As always I have big plans. I plan to grow a little of everything. I have been very successful in my container garden in my backyard over the past 4 years. This is definitely an upgrade, land.  Although it is a small plot, I think I can grow just about anything in my 10 X 15 plot of earth.

I am posting pictures of the before and after of the weed removal and will post again shortly.  Notice the Spinach, there are 8 plants left over from the farmer from last year.  Now that is a bonus!  Just enough for a big spinach salad.  More to come…. Stay posted!
Before
After Day 1
After Day 2

No comments:

Post a Comment