Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Link Between Food Choices, Income and Health

A friend sent me this link today, http://www.citylimits.org/slideshow/552/new-york-s-food-basket. It features New York's Food Basket. Four New Yorkers in some of the city's poorest neighborhoods are interviewed at three super markets. The article poignantly portrays the choices that people are making when buying food due to income, size of the family, and health. At a time when the economy is hurting so many people and the Centers for Disease Control is showing that the latest state data reveals continuing high rates of obesity (30 percent or higher in 12 states), it's important to recognize factors that determine how and what people eat. It's going to take a lot more than telling people to eat healthy to solve problems of obesity among adults and children. Just how do you get communities with limited resources to respond broadly to the issue of food, nutrition and health when they're struggling to meet basic needs?

1 comment:

  1. So glad you saw this link. Thanks for posting. Being in NYC, it's heartbreaking and scary how much our food costs here and what I can and can't afford to buy to feed my son and I. I stretch food like a rubber band because it's so hard to make ends meet. I am going outside of my neighborhood, lugging a shopping cart on the bus and a pack strapped to my back in order to buy the cheapest and freshest foods. The price differential from one supermarket to the next on the same item is nothing short of robbery. This stuggle doesn't seem to be getting any easier, and yet I know I am fortunate. So many people are hurting in their wallets and can't afford to think about nutrition because of hunger.

    On a lighter note-- I am interested in sharing recipes and ideas for inexpensive, healthy and good tasting meals with your readers. Please keep up the good work you are doing here!

    ReplyDelete